reviewed by Noah Woolhouse, Room2, Year 6, Green Bay Primary
Firstly, what was appealing to me was the cover and the title because I like hunting and fishing.
The content of the book covers interesting topics such as
- how to stay safe with a firearm and how to clean a firearm
- how to skin a rabbit and it has a recipe for rabbit nuggets
- the parts of a shotgun and how to load a shotgun.
- where to shoot a bird
- the best way to catch pests
- a recipe of possum stew
(Bush craft related)
- a list of equipment you should take with you in the bush and strategies for crossing a river and how to tie a bowline knot
- what different knifes look like and it gives a basic description of what they are used for
- a recipe for goat stew
- a range safety rules
- how to tie a hook on to a fishing line and it shows you the parts of a hook
- the parts of a fishing rod and it tells you about surfcasting
- the fishing regulations and it gives you a recipe for barbeque parcel of fish
- some different fishing lures and it gives you a recipe for baked whole trout
- what equipment you need for white baiting and it has the white bait regulations and a recipe for white bait fritters.
I liked the book a lot, because it is about what I like to do.
I learnt how to cross a river and gained more knowledge on bush craft.
I enjoyed the recipes and I will try the “BBQ Parcel of Fish” first. The others I am not sure about trying and I am not sure how to organise the ingredients.
The illustrations/photos were quite clear and supporting the information in the text.
I would buy this book and keep it at home for looking up information, especially to have a look before I go hunting or fishing to remind myself of the correct equipment, the techniques, safety rules and regulations.
In conclusion I think book was very good and I really enjoyed reading it.